- Upcoming relevant events: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/programme/sessions/1498_en
- Follow the European Network for Rural Development (ENRD): https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/
- ENRD & Smart Villages: https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/enrd-thematic-work/smart-and-competitive-rural-areas/smart-villages_en
- Smart Villages Network: https://www.smart-village-network.eu/
Rural Energy Matters: A new rural energy agenda for Europe
Tuesday 29 November 2016
08:00-09 :30, European Parliament, Brussels
As the EU reflects on how to address its climate challenges on a regional basis, policymakers have focused on how best to address the needs of cities. However, the EU’s strategy for moving towards a more sustainable Europe must encompass all European citizens if it is to be successful – a Rural Energy Agenda is essential. This event will consider how to set the right regulatory framework within the EU to allow rural areas to transition away from their current energy mix, dominated by heating oil and coal, and towards cleaner energy options. It will also highlight the publication of a new study focusing on the rural energy mix. This study highlights the policy steps the EU can take to unlock up to 100 million tonnes of CO2 savings in rural areas.
- MERCEDES BRESSO, Member of the European Parliament, Chair of the RUMRA Intergroup
- PIERRE SCHELLEKENS, Deputy Head of Cabinet, Energy and Climate Commissioner Cañete
- FULCO VAN LEDE, CEO, SHV Energy, Future of Rural Energy in Europe (FREE) initiative
In the case that guests require access to the parliament, we kindly ask that they provide their full name, nationality, date of birth and ID number by Friday 25 November.
Tel: +32 2 234 68 94