- Upcoming relevant events: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/programme/sessions/1498_en
- Follow the European Network for Rural Development (ENRD): https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/
- ENRD & Smart Villages: https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/enrd-thematic-work/smart-and-competitive-rural-areas/smart-villages_en
- Smart Villages Network: https://www.smart-village-network.eu/
Get Out of Town – Fill the Rural Energy Gap
Rural communities are disadvantaged when it comes to energy choice. European citizens living in rural areas face a reduced, costly, and often polluting and carbon-intensive choice to meet their energy needs – not to mention an older and hard to heat or treat housing stock. In the context of the upcoming Fit For 55 Package, EU policies need to address air quality, emission reduction and energy affordability in rural areas.
Participate – Answer our sli.do poll
Rural Energy in Europe – What does the future hold?
Thursday 03 June – 14:00 (WebEx)
- Introductory remarks by MEP Franc Bogovic, Co-Chair of the RUMRA & Smart Villages Intergroup.
- Presentation from the FREE Initiative on Rural Energy Challenges: Lessons from 10 Members States – Robert Honeyman, Head of Analysis, Low Carbon Business Unit at Gemserv.
- MEP Sean Kelly, Member of the ITRE Committee.
- Robert Honeyman, Head of Analysis, Low Carbon Business Unit at Gemserv and author of the FREE study.
- Stefan Schmidt, Public Affairs Manager at Primagas Energie, provider of off-grid energy.
Concluding remarks – Silvia Estivill, FREE (Future of Rural Energy in Europe) Initiative.