- Upcoming relevant events: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/programme/sessions/1498_en
- Follow the European Network for Rural Development (ENRD): https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/
- ENRD & Smart Villages: https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/enrd-thematic-work/smart-and-competitive-rural-areas/smart-villages_en
- Smart Villages Network: https://www.smart-village-network.eu/
Visit of the Aghali Smart Village
In light of the fast-growing movement related to the development of rural and remote areas and smart villages, a delegation of the RUMRA & Smart Villages Intergroup in the European Parliament visited the first ever finalised Smart Village in the South Caucasus, on 22 September 2022. In the run up to the visit of the Aghali Smart Village, built in only 9 months, our delegation had a series of official meetings with high level officials, among which the Minister of Agriculture, Mr Inam Karimov , the Director of AZPROMO, Yusif Abdullayev, and with a group of Members of the AZ parliament, led by Chair of the Parliamentary Committee for Economic Policy, Industry and Entrepreneurship, Mr Tahir Mirkishili .
The purpose of the visit, which followed the newly established agreement signed by Ursula von der Leyen and President Aliyev, was to exchange best practices in the development of smart villages and thereby a modern solution for rural areas. Our Members of the European Parliament were accompanied by entrepreneurs from their respective constituencies, with the aim of fostering concrete business opportunities for European businesses in this exciting emerging market.
The European Union has recently decided to diversify away from Russia its energy supply, and turn towards more reliable, trustworthy partners. Azerbaijan will be important not only for our security of supply, but also in our efforts to become climate neutral. Smart villages can be at the forefront of rethinking the way we live and collaborate within the EU and with international partners.
Please click here for the short video on Agali – Smart village. It will expire in 1 week.
- « How can urban-rural partnerships promote Europe’s green transition and territorial agenda?
- Joint Seminar between Czech EU Presidency, the CoR and our RUMRA & Smart Villages Intergroup on Community-led Local Development and Smart Villages as Innovative Tools for Effective Development of the Rural Areas »