- Upcoming relevant events: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/programme/sessions/1498_en
- Follow the European Network for Rural Development (ENRD): https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/
- ENRD & Smart Villages: https://enrd.ec.europa.eu/enrd-thematic-work/smart-and-competitive-rural-areas/smart-villages_en
- Smart Villages Network: https://www.smart-village-network.eu/
- This event has passed.
A European agenda for rural, mountainous and remote areas
20th November 2018 @ 8:00 am - 9:30 am
Tuesday 20 November 2018, 8.00 to 9.30am, European Parliament
The RUMRA Intergroup (rural, mountainous and remote areas) in the European Parliament and the Future of Rural Energy in Europe (FREE) initiative are pleased to invite you to a breakfast debate hosted by Mercedes Bresso, MEP (S&D) and Chair of the Intergroup, to discuss the tangible actions needed to address the challenges that rural, mountainous and remote areas still face today.
The European Parliament has recently approved a Resolution calling for an EU Agenda for rural, mountainous and remote areas in line with previous action for urban areas. The current debate about the future of cohesion policy offers a unique opportunity to shape appropriate legislation in the future programming period, addressing the needs of such areas and territories.
We will therefore discuss the opportunities and challenges related to the Agenda requested by the European Parliament, bringing a specific case study on decarbonisation in rural areas into the discussion.
In this sense, the European Commission Strategy for a long-term EU greenhouse gas emissions reduction provides a concrete opportunity for EU decision-makers to act. However, the current debate on decarbonisation overlooks the potential offered by rural areas, as the focus is predominantly on urban areas and on the development of smart cities as solutions for reducing CO2 emissions.
During this debate, we will present the findings of a FREE study, which centres on scenarios aimed at developing and evaluating alternative decarbonisation for rural off-grid heating in Europe towards 2050. It will also be an opportune moment to discuss how the EU, through its funding schemes, can support the transition to a low-carbon economy, as well as how local and regional actors can best contribute to this crucial policy objective.
Welcome & Introduction
- Mercedes Bresso, MEP and RUMRA Intergroup Chair
- Iskra Mihaylova, MEP and Chair of the REGI Committee in the European Parliament
- Rudolf Niessler, Director for Smart and Sustainable Growth and Southern Europe, DG REGIO, European Commission
- Ilias Vazaios, Ecuity Consulting on behalf of FREE Initiative
Exchange of views with participants including a debate with the associations supporting the call for the EU Agenda for rural, mountainous and remote areas
- Date: Tuesday 20 November 2018, 08:00 – 9:30
- Venue: Private MEP Salon, European Parliament, Rue Wiertz 60 | Brussels